The announcement last week by the USGBC that 2 billion square feet of commercial space has been LEED certified is not only awe-inspiring but also confirms that the green building movement has more than just taken root, it is flourishing. The USGBC also reported that it certifies 2 million square feet of commercial space a day and more than 50,000 commercial projects are registered for LEED certification which equals 9 billion square feet of space.
Here are just a few highlights (by the numbers) of BCCI’s accomplishments towards helping our clients reach their green building goals.
- To date BCCI has built out over 1 million square feet of LEED certified space with another 400 thousand square feet in the pipeline registered for certification.
- More than half of BCCI’s LEED projects have been certified Gold or higher.
- At least 20% of all materials used on BCCI’s construction projects are reused, recycled and/or locally sourced.
- A minimum of 75% construction waste from BCCI’s projects is diverted from landfills and recycled.
- Over 75% of BCCI’s project management staff is LEED Accredited which enables us to be a valuable resource at the earliest stages of a project through final submission of LEED documentation.
We would like to hear from you! How have you or your firm contributed to the 2 billion square-foot achievement?